Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Week 9 Storytelling: Great Grandfatherly Advice

Culture is imperfect. Humans are imperfect. Life is imperfect.

I am Manu – the first human. Let me explain what I mean. Matsya nyaya is the law of the jungle where the mighty rule. Dharma is the idealistic belief of creating a secure world where prey and predator can live in harmony. Humans are the only creatures that do not have to follow matsya nyaya and can interfere with nature by following dharma and using empathy and compassion. However, this is where imperfection lies. A perfect world determined by humans does not exist because everyone still follows the law of karma – every action as a reaction whether it may be good or bad.

I can 100% guarantee that you are a human being, meaning I am your great great great great…. etc. grandfather. Hi, great great great great… etc. grandson or granddaughter. Nice to meet you! Let me tell you about the story of King Shibi.

***

King Shibi rescued a dove from being eaten from a hawk, leaving the hawk furious.

“I am starved, and you have taken my dinner. What do you expect of me to eat now?!” asked the hawk.

While holding the rescued dove, the king replied, “Another dove, perhaps?”

“How do you expect to save one dove but sacrifice another?”

“Well, fine. Eat a rat or a serpent instead then if you prefer!”

“Now, why should they die for the life of a simple dove? What fairness is there in that?”

The king could not answer.

***

I bet that when you read that King Shibi (another descendent of mine) rescued a dove, you felt compassion and empathy for a poor, weak, defenseless creature. This is your dharma ideals that have been implanted in your head. You try to break the rules of the jungle law, interfering with nature to try to help weaker animals from mightier ones. In reality, because Shibi saved the dove, he was unfair to the hawk and attempted to throw any other animal under the bus in order to save this one dove. Right or wrong depends on your perspective. Essentially, nothing is fair. Nothing is perfect. The world moves on.

The moral of my story is this: Although everything is imperfect, humanity has the power to even the playing field and create a better world. The matsya nyaya may rule many, but dharma has a strong power and it is your responsibility to use it. I can’t tell you what is fair or unfair. That is for you to judge. Whether you think the hawk is right or Shibi was is completely up to you. Humans are the masters of this universe, but just remember – if you have a growing fish in a bowl, give him a bigger bowl, but do not underestimate his ability to care for himself without your interference.


Now go about the world, my descendent, and do good. Make me and the rest of your humankind proud. Pass on my lesson to your own descendants. Now, how’s that for great grandfatherly advice?

King Shibi, the Hawk, and the Dove
Author's Note: I was inspired to write this when I read about the tale of King Shibi. I thought it was an interesting perspective to see that by saving the dove, you are cruelly punishing the hawk. Thinking about it in human terms, you're taking away food from a starving man in order to give it to a starving child. You reason with yourself that it's for the better, not considering the fact that you're leaving the man or the hawk to starve. I thought the topic of matsya nyaya and dharma were very intriguing as well to think that humans posses this mental capability to determine right and wrong for themselves, separate from the animal world.

1 comment:

  1. Julie, I thought this was such a creative and unique way to re-inspire the tale of King Shibi. I thought the organization of your story was great. You led by explain the background of the importance of the story and I think this was really important to the flow of the story. Your explanation following the story of the dove was also really insightful. I enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete