Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Week 8: Growth Mindset

Since my post of Growth Mindset in Week 1, I would like to say that I have somewhat enhanced my mindset and adopted a strategy of mastering materials. This semester, I have officially switched my major to psychology and have decided that I want to become a counseling psychologists, which means I definitely needed to adopt a growth mindset in my psychology classes for my future career. So far, it's going pretty well, and I have been able to accomplish different dimensions of growth, although I have my moments of slacking and procrastination. As for this class, I came in not knowing anything about Indian mythology and not having a serious passion for it. However, since I've been trying to be a better student, I've learned so much about Indian epics, gods, and culture, which is so much more than I could ask for in terms of knowledge. At times, I fall behind my work in this class and not apply any growth mindset challenges because I am too focused in other classes, and/or I am working too much buuuuut I'm able to get back on track soon enough! Now for the second half of the semester, I might try to do more work ahead of time so I am not as overwhelmed, especially when there are tests coming up. I also might try studying at least one week prior to the test to I can actually absorb and learn the material. This way, I can take the steps I need to make the grades I want and learn the material I need for the future.
Growth Mindset Steps

4 comments:

  1. I completely understand where you are coming from. I think working ahead is one of the best strategies to succeed in college. It can get tough sometimes when you’re trying to manage different classes, extracurricular activities, and relationships. I think reflecting on how you’re doing in all areas of life really helps put things into perspective, and gets you a good starting point to get caught up. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice to see that you are seeing some progress with your change! That is very encouraging. I too fall behind sometimes in my work and working ahead would definitely help with that. I believe the fact that you realize what you need to do is the first step to becoming more productive! I hope you keep at it and good luck with the rest of your semester.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked that you followed up on your previous post and had a way of measuring your progress. I ditto Dhara's comment about working ahead. Even if you are only 1 week ahead and keep going with the same weekly deadlines, it may be easier to come up with things, as there is not a real deadline hanging over your head. I hope you are able to finish the class on a strong note!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you want to be a counselling psychologist! I want to be a counselor and I also have to adapt to the growth mindset. I like the picture that you used. It is important to say that you will be able to do it and then you will achieve it. Thanks for sharing. I hope you are able to achieve everything you want!

    ReplyDelete