Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Week 5 Storytelling: The Legendary Rama

Let me tell you a story about the most heroic and just man in all of history. This is a story about a young boy who grew up to be a king, a man who became a legend.

ONCE UPON A TIME in the fair city of Ayodhya, the legendary tale of the brave and handsome prince Rama begun. Since the time of his birth, Rama was destined for great things, namely to defeat the all powerful demon king Ravana. As the first born son to King Dasharatha, Rama was soon to be the crowned king of Ayodhya. However, not all desired to be under Rama’s rule. Kaikeyi, wife of Dasharatha and mother of Bharata, wished for her son to be crowned king instead, and begun conspiring against this young prince. Under an unfortunate debt and a promise to Kaikeyi, King Dasharatha reluctantly exiled his beloved Rama to the forest for fourteen years, a request Rama accepted with loyalty to his father and without hesitation.

Refusing to be left alone in the treacherous forest, Rama’s loyal brother Lakshmana and his faithful wife Sita decided to joined him in his exile. Many days and nights passed as the trio walked aimlessly through the forest. As Rama and his brother proved their worth by defeating any and all rakshasas in their path, the royal brothers were only truly deceived by one. On this dark day, the great and malicious Ravana wished to steal Sita for himself. Whilst having Maricha transform into a golden deer to distract the young princes, the beautiful Sita was left alone and unguarded. At this chance, Ravana stole Sita away, bringing her upon his chariot toward Lanka. Upon their return, Rama and Lakshmana were soon to realize the deceit and vowed to do everything in their power to find her.

Searching high and low, and befriending monkeys and bears, the royal brothers found the lost princess on an island of Lanka, home of the demon king. And thus, the battle on Lanka commenced. Monkeys and bears, humans and rakshasas alike fought one another.  Blood was shed, warriors were wounded, but the valient Rama came out victorious. Ravana, the demon king invulnerable to gods, was defeated by the mighty mortal Rama. After fulfilling his destiny, Rama returned to the city of Ayodhya with his beloved wife Sita, as the terms of his exile was completed. There, his throne and his kingdom awaited. After fourteen years in exile, Rama is crowned the king of Ayodhya, and they all lived HAPPILY EVER AFTER.

And how do I know this, you may ask? Well, let’s just say the story of one’s father is something one never forgets.

-       L
Rama, Kusha, & Lava
Authors Note: This story is the product of my story planning from Week 4! I wanted to summarize Rama's story through a perspective of a third party, and I couldn't think of anything more suitable than have his own flesh and blood (AKA Lava). I could've had Kusha tell the story too, but I flipped a coin on who I wanted to sign the ending. Anyway, for this week I wanted to try a different writing style than normal, so I tried writing in the style of a classic fairytale with old English. However, the old English part was a little hard for me to write, but I did the best I could! Also, I decided draw the line in only summarizing Rama's exile, the golden deer scene, the battle of Lanka, and Rama's coronation because I thought those were the defining plots of the entire story, and I didn't want to simply retell an entire story.

Bibliography: "Rama & Sita" by W. D. Monro

6 comments:

  1. This story is really interesting! I like that you did the story from Rama's son's perspective. I am actually doing my storybook project revolving around them and their stories. Your summary was really good- you included all of the important parts and did a good job making it short and to the point! I like that you italicized the story that he was telling like it was an old tale you would find in a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie! I really like what you have done with this story! I have yet to read anyone's story post using this writing style, so I'm not sure what is supposed to look like but you did an amazing job! I was continuing to read the story and was wondering who could possibly be telling this story, and when I got to the end I was very surprised and really admired the way you constructed this story! It definitely felt like I was reading an old tale in a book full of many old tales. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Julie! I think the new writing style that you chose worked well. I liked that you chose to tell this story in third person, it kind of removes the biases it would have if it was in first person, like mine was. Your use of italicizing was important to the story I believe. It added the old-fairy tale aspect to it. I liked that this was not just a retelling of the story, you really made it your own. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Julie! The amount of detail you put into your story was awesome! They way you wrote painted a picture for me and I liked how the story was narrated. While, its fun to see more into the characters minds, your writing allowed us to get a better picture of the entire scene and characters! You did a great job of infusing yourself into the story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed the way you told this story. It made me imagine some kids sitting around their grandpa while he was telling them a story from his past. It was very interesting to read it in this way. You also made it into this epic dialogue. I could imagine it being the opening to a movie with a narrator reading it off. Very interesting idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julie,
    I really liked the style of writing in this story. I love "Once upon a time..." stories!! I thought it was a good choice to tell the story in third person and past tense also! It made a good effect, and fit the story well. It made me think of one of those big giant books with beautiful gothic font with tales in it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete