Thursday, January 19, 2017

Reading Options: PDE Ramayana

            Out of the Narayan’s or the Public Domain Ramayana, I chose to read the Public Domain Edition due to several factors, such as convenience, preference for old-fashion language, and variety within the book. I have never taken a class about epic literature or mythology, but I have always been interested in learning about them. Through self-studying, I mainly focused on Greek and Roman mythology (my favorites), but I decided that I wanted to expand my horizons and learn something new from a different culture. I do not have any knowledge whatsoever about Indian history or folklore, but within the past year, I have become closer with my Indian friend and have been introduced to the culture slowly but surely. I, myself, come from a South Asian decent (Vietnam and China) and have not been super involved in any other Asian culture other than Southern Asian.


            Anyway! So far, from the storybooks I read in my last blog post, I have read about other people’s take on Rama and Sita, and I thought that was an interesting story. I would like to know that full story surrounding that issue, but I am not opposed to reading other stories. I am a strong believer that every story has a purpose and should be read. So I am pretty much open to any epic given.  When I was also looking through images of Indian epics, the Rama and Sita statue appealed to me the most. One reason is because I am fairly familiar with the story now. The other reason is that I love the sculpture work and the grandness of the piece, and I really think it was well done. It captures the essence of Rama from his powerful stance, leading the way, and Sita following his lead behind him. The simplistic black silhouette is also minimalistic, which is my style of art.

Rama & Sita Sculpture

No comments:

Post a Comment